Become a Burnie Nipper
Every parent wants their child to lead a happy, healthy and active youth. There is no better place for this than introducing your child to surf lifesaving and nippers.
Nippers is a junior program that introduces children aged 5 to 13 to surf lifesaving. It is a fun outdoors activity that grows a child’s confidence, teaches valuable life skills and knowledge. At Burnie we offer a 'hands on' nippers program, encouraging parents to come down to the sand and get involved. Our Periwinkles program provides a stepping stone for children under 7 to make a seemless transition into the Nipper pathway. It aims to build their confidence in the surf before they take the next step into fun competition.
The youth of today are the future of Surf Life Saving, and the Nippers pathway teaches lessons and skills allowing them to continue in lifesaving and sport as they grow older.
But it’s not hard work. We like to call it serious fun! Nippers is a great way for children to make friends, be active and enjoy the beach in a safe, positive and friendly environment.
Nippers are Australian for life. Get involved - they'll love it!
How do I sign my child up to Burnie Nippers?
Contact BSLSC to find out more about our nippers program and what is required for you to apply for membership. You can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior Development Program
The Junior Development Program includes lessons that are tailored to each of the nipper age groups, ensuring the content is relevant, in line with lifesaving and surf sports most up to date training standards and most of all exciting! The program is based on participatory evaluation and not assessed on competence; this means your child must only be actively involved in each of the lessons to be eligible for the award. We believe this is the best way to introduce juniors to surf life saving where fun takes priority over being ‘tested’.
JUNIOR ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE 2023/24
- Junior Activities Coordinator: Clinton Heyworth
- Assistant JAC: Rhiannon Bomford
- Membership Manager / Registrar: Kathryn Fryett & Raelene Mollison
- Merchandise: Karina Heyworth
- Water Safety, Education and Training Officer: Geri Doherty
- Junior Rep on Surf Sports Committee: Mitchell Scott & Jesse Lehman
- Junior Gear Steward: Kurt de Jonge
- Team Manager: Luke O'Garey
- Junior Coaching Coordinator - Luke O'Garey
- Junior Coaches - Mitchell Scott, Jesse Lehman
- Periwinkles - Rhiannon Sayer